Suffrage100MA’s 2023 Women’s Equality Day commemoration took place at the Boston Public Garden’s Swan Boats on August 22, 2023! This annual event recognizes the adoption of the 19th Amendment into the US Constitution, Aug. 26, 1920, and also acknowledges that other laws needed to be changed so that Black, Native American and Asian American women – and men – could vote.
Our theme this year: Women’s Health & Maternal Health Crisis of Women of Color. We were pleased to be joined by our co-hosts, the Boston Mayor’s Office of Women’s Advancement and Our Bodies Ourselves Today, and special guests from the MA Department of Public Health, who shared their incredible work in the areas of women’s/maternal health. Additionally, League of Women Voters of MA hosted a voter registration table.
- Fredie Kay, Founder & President, Suffrage100MA
- Judy Norsigian, Co-Founder, Our Bodies Ourselves
- Norma Swenson, Founding Co-Author, Our Bodies Ourselves
- Laura Prieto, Program Director, Our Bodies Ourselves Today and Co-Director, Mary Eliza Project
- Diana Namumbejja Abwoye, Board Chair, Our Bodies Ourselves
- Cristina Alonso, Board Member, Our Bodies Ourselves
- Mariangely Solis Cervera, Chief of Equity and Inclusion, City of Boston
- Dr. Robert Goldstein, Commissioner, Massachusetts Department of Public Health
- Elaine Fitzgerald Lewis, Bureau Director for Family Health and Nutrition, Massachusetts Department of Public Health
The Swan Boats in the Boston Public Garden have been the setting for Suffrage100MA’s Women’s Equality Day event since 2011. The beautiful giant swans wear replica “Votes for Women” sashes, as do many of the speakers and attendees. This event brings together Suffrage100MA Partner organizations, elected officials, and community members to celebrate the inclusive history of the fight for women’s voting rights, as well as address today’s most pressing social justice movements. Read our Press Release here!
Check out the video of the event!
Photo credit: Axie Breen Photograph