Who We Are
Suffrage100MA is a non-profit, non-partisan organization, dedicated to commemorating the 100th anniversary of the adoption of the 19th Amendment, which prohibits the federal and state governments from denying citizens the right to vote on the basis of sex. It took a 72-year struggle, by thousands of suffragists, to achieve adoption of the 19th Amendment in August of 1920.
A main goal of Suffrage100MA is to commemorate and tell the story of the remarkable achievement of the suffragists, including the tireless work and essential contributions of women of color, who were often excluded by white women’s suffrage organizations, and whose role in the suffrage movement has been largely overlooked.
Suffrage100MA presents events and activities that highlight the history of the women’s suffrage movement and women’s rights.
Suffrage100MA is a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization that partners and collaborates with many organizations in Massachusetts and throughout the country that are also planning events to recognize this historic occasion.
Learn more about our mission, goals and team below, or learn more about the following:
Commemorate the centennial of the ratification of the 19th Amendment, granting women suffrage.
- Increase voter participation by motivating voters to appreciate and exercise the right to vote;
- Provide educational opportunities for all ages to learn the inspiring and dramatic history of women’s suffrage;
- Engage arts and cultural organizations to use this centennial as a catalyst for creative program planning;
- Recognize the progress of women’s rights since obtaining suffrage in 1920;
- Shine a light on all we still need to do to achieve full equality for women;
- Showcase the many dynamic and effective existing women’s rights organizations;
Host 2020 event to commemorate the right to vote: inspired by the Boston suffrage parades of 1914 and 1915, Suffrage100MA looks forward to creating a similar event in 2020. Please note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our 100th Anniversary commemoration event has been postponed.
Board of Directors
- Fredie Kay, Founder & President
- Mary-dith Tuitt, Vice-President
- Georgina Arrieta-Ruetenik, Secretary and Treasurer
- Hermese Velasquez, Director
- Rosaline Lowe, Director
- Maureen Hansen, Associate Director
- Michelle Juralewicz, Program Coordinator
- Patricia O’Halloran, Administrative Assistant
- Charisse Thompson, Social Media Associate
- 2021 Charisse Thompson
- 2019 Thalia Neebe
- 2018 Julia Applebaum, Sharon Kane, Thalia Neebe
- 2017 Anna Robinson
- 2016 Alice Janigro
Email any board member or staff via Contact Us.